"Into the Light", by the Slovenian photographer Sandi Bertoncelj, is the official image of the BBK Mendi Film Bilbao-Bizkaia mountain film festival. He has won this award in the CVCEPHOTO Contest of the Club Vasco de Camping Elkartea, so it will be the base of all Mendi Film's illustrations.
Providing continuity to the milestones set for this year, film submissions are open for the 13th edition, which will take place from 4th to 13th December 2020. Producers, directors, and filmmakers must submit their films by 15th September 2020. Let's keep dreaming!
The following Mendi Tours have been postponed:
- Filma!-Sevatur-San Sebastián (M13-14, Kursaal)
- Vielha e Mijaran (M14-15, Cinema Vielha)
- Sevilla (M19, Cine Avenida)
- Iruña-Pamplona (M23-24-25-26, Golem Baiona)
- Santutxu/Bilbao (M23/25, Rincón del Viajero)
- Zaldibar (M26/A2, Liburutegi Zaharra)
- Arratzu (M27, Kultur Aretoa)
- Amurrio (M27, Amurrio Antzokia)
- Hondarribia (M28-29, Itsas Etxea Auditoriuma)
- Orona Fundazioa (A1, Orona Ideo, Hernani)
- Irurtzun (A3, Kultur Etxea)
- Teruel (A4, Teatro Marín)
- Izaba (A10, Cine de Isaba)
- Zumarraga (A23, Zelai Arizti)
- Cangas de Onís (A25)
- Arrasate (M12, Amaia Udal Antzokia)
- Vigo (M12-13-14-15, Auditorio do Concello)
- Camargo (M13-14, Centro Cultural la Vidriera)
- Zarautz (M21-28, Modelo Aretoa)
- Huesca (J5, Cine Victoria)
The decision has been reached with the organizers and collaborators of each site, in order to follow precautionary quarantine instructions from health authorities to prevent further spread of COVID-19 virus.
Therefore, we will soon evaluate the possibility of setting new dates for the aforementioned events.
Bilbao, 16th December 2019. BBK Mendi Film Bilbao-Bizkaia, the international mountain film festival, puts an end to its brilliant 12th edition. Over the last 10 days, 12,360 people attended the screenings, setting a new attendance record and reinforcing its continuous growth for the last eight editions. The organisers are very happy with these numbers, but they particularly appreciate the quality of the films and events.
Mountaineers Nives Meroi and Romano Benet have been the main honorees of the 12th edition. They were awarded the 2019 WOP-The Walk On Project Award at the event held in Bilbao on Saturday, December 14.
The film Treeline directed by Jordan Manley wins the Grand Prize at the BBK Mendi Film Bilbao-Bizkaia 2019. Trees are the main axis of this work engraved in forests of British Columbia, Japan and Nevada. It's an invitation to interpret what the oldest trees have to teach us, illuminating the reciprocal bond between humanity and nature. A masterpiece.
Lehendakari Iñigo Urkullu, the Basque Premier, today offered a reception, in Vitoria-Gasteiz, to Eduardo Martínez and Jabier Baraiazarra, president and director of the Mendi Film. The Minister of Culture and Linguistic Policy Bingen Zupiria has been the one who has guided the meeting.